As North Korea seeks support from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations to prevent what they are calling a potential ‘nuclear holocaust’, it appears that Donald Trump is also preparing. During an interview with Reuters today, Trump explained that the possibility of a ‘major conflict’ was escalating if diplomacy couldn’t be reached.
However, Trump maintained that the U.S had every intention of resolving the crisis in a peaceful manner, through the use of the typical protocal: sanctions, military presense, etc.
“There is a chance that we could end up having a major, major conflict with North Korea,” Trump said in an interview at the Oval Office.
He continued to say that, “We’d love to solve things diplomatically but it’s very difficult,” he said. He also praised the Chinese President Xi Jinping for their assistance at attempting to rein in North Korea. The two leaders had met earlier this month in Florida.
“I believe he is trying very hard. He certainly doesn’t want to see turmoil and death. He doesn’t want to see it. He is a good man. He is a very good man and I got to know him very well.
“With that being said, he loves China and he loves the people of China. I know he would like to be able to do something, perhaps it’s possible that he can’t,” Trump said.
However, according to the North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong-ho in a letter he wrote to ASEAN’s cheif Le Luong Minh from Vietnam,
“As you know, due to the annual war games in South Korea conducted by the United States and South Korea, the situation in the Korean Peninsula is out of control,” the letter, seen by AFP and dated April 23 reads.
“It is a fact clear to everyone that when they deploy the means of nuclear strike that can drive the Korean Peninsula into a nuclear holocaust in just seconds… the nature of such exercises can in no way be defensive.”
And North Korea’s chief diplomat urged the ASEAN chief to explain to the 10 nations included in the organization about the ‘grave situation’ and to help them develop a ‘proper proposal’ on how to create peace on the Korean Peninsula.
“I express my expectations that ASEAN which attaches great importance to the regional peace and stability will make an issue of the US-South Korean joint military exercises at ASEAN conferences from the fair position and play an active role in safeguarding the peace and safety of Korean Peninsula,” Ri Yong-ho wrote.
Unfortunately, prior peace talks involving North and South Korea, China, the United States, Japan and Russia had collapsed in 2008, after North Korea set off a rocket launch.
Recently, while speaking the Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman, Maria Zakharova expressed interests in reviving such talks. “There is a mechanism, six-party talks, and the question is not for Russia. The question should go to the United States (as to) why they have rejected this mechanism of improving the situation in the Korean Peninsula,” Zakharova told Yahoo news. However, it remains unclear as to just how far President Trump and Kim Jong-un will be willing to go in order to maintain peace.