The human body is an amazing thing! We are extremely complex machines of organs, organ systems, tissues, and cells that all work together to complete one giant task – you!
Earth is full of amazing life that never ceases to amaze scientists. You would think that we would have most of everything about our body figured out by the year 2017, but you’d be wrong! While we do know essentially everything we need to maintain a healthy body, but scientists and researchers still keep finding new discoveries about our amazing bodies! Just recently researchers believe they discovered light producing photons in the human brain! Some researchers even believe that our brains control a simulated reality in which we live in! There’s actually a lot of amazing things about the human body you never knew!
1.The largest bone in the human body is the femur! It can support up to thirty times the weight of a person. If you get down to the brass tax of ounces for ounces, that’s stronger than steel!
2. The messages that are sent and received from our brain to our nervous system track along nerves at approximately 200 miles per hour!
3. 25% of the bones in the human body is actually in your feet.
4. Human ears and noses never stop growing! While you’re not going to grow dumbo ears, they do grow at a severely slow rate. But they still never stop.
5. The little finger contributes up to 50% of the strength in your hand.
6. This one is really interesting: If you were to uncoil the human DNA it would stretch 10 billion miles! That’s from earth to Pluto, and back!
7. There are more bacteria in the human mouth than there are people in the world.
8. The very enzymes that digest your food will eventually digest your entire body after death. They start digesting the body within three days of death.
9. The skeleton will regrow itself every ten years.
10. By the time you reach 70 years old you would have consumed over 12,000 gallons of water.
11. While bone is five times stronger than a steel bar of the same width, it can still fracture upon impact.
12. Your tongue detects taste in approximately 0.0015 seconds – that’s faster than the blink of an eye.
13. Taste buds aren’t visible to the naked eye. You can see the little bumps but those are actually papillae on top of where the taste buds are actually found.
14. The brain contains 87 billion nerve cells joined by 100 trillion connections. That’s more than the stars in the milky way galaxy.
15. The largest cell in the human body is an egg that isn’t visible to the human eye. It’s also referred to as an ovum.
16. No human tongue has the same pattern, like the fingerprints.
17. Every single hour the human body sheds 600,000 particles of skin. That is approximately 1.5 pounds each year. By 75 years old you will have lost 105 pounds of skin.
18. You produce enough saliva in your lifetime to fill up two swimming pools, or 25,000 quarts.
19. Your stomach lining is replaced every four to five days to prevent itself from being digested.
20. Your feet have about 500,000 different sweat glands and you can produce a pint of sweat every day.
21. A human sneeze can travel at 100 miles per hour.
22. The strongest muscle in the body isn’t the tongue; it’s the masseter or the jaw bone muscle.
23. Fingernails grow faster on the hand you write with and faster than toenails. The longer fingers actually grow nails faster than the shorter ones.
24. The liver is the largest internal organ that can regenerate itself.
25. The human brain uses as much power as a 10 watt light bulb.
26. The average person walks about 100,000 miles in their lifetime – that’s walking around the world four times at the equator.